Thursday, March 20, 2008

Single Digits

I dreamed last night that Wyatt was here. He was just a tiny bundle of cuteness, and I didn't want to put him down, even though my arm was sore from holding him so long and Ryan volunteered to carry him in his car seat for me. In reality, that was just the side I was sleeping on, of course, and my arm really was sore, but our little dude is still safely tucked away inside his Momma, waiting on his mysterious perfect timing. In the end, he's picking his birthday, not me.

Some interesting phenomena happen in the days surrounding your due date.:

First, you feel weird calling anyone, because when they see it's from you, they'll stop everything (regardless of what they're in the middle of) to take it, just in case you're in labor. So if you're just calling to chat, you've caused quite a stir!

Second, your friends and family all start putting in requests for when you should go into labor based on their own schedules. And of course we all know I have no control over it anyway, but I know there's this little something in their minds that thinks maybe if they just put it out there, Wyatt will go along with their request. It's sweet, in a way, because they'd all like to be a part of the big day and I totally appreciate that. But if I'm not careful, it can stress me out a little, too. A nice little reminder of how little control I have over it all!

Lastly, you inevitably end up psyching yourself out. Every contraction could be the first in a pattern this time. Every time you get out of bed to pee, you half expect your water to break as your rapidly change positions. Last night, I found myself pacing the hallway in the middle of the night, hoping the next step would be the one that kicked things into gear. Isn't it strange how even though a pregnant woman knows that labor and delivery are gonna be painful and messy and exhausting, she still begs for it to come now, now, now? I never understood that until I got to this point. But here I am, willing the pain to start. Go figure.

The stats: I'm 38 1/2 - 39 weeks pregnant. Even according to my original 3/29 due date, we're in the single digits now. 9 days. And there are only 6 days until the 3/26 due date. And, of course, there are 19 days until I get to the magical day where I'm 10 days past my due date and the doc says enough is enough. But of course, if it's up to me, I have absolutely no intention of getting to that day still pregnant!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone sent me a text message at the ungodly hour of 7 a.m. on Sunday, and I actually got out of bed to look at it because I thought it might be from you saying you were in labor or had had Wyatt. It turned out only to be a lousy stock tip from some spammer. Believe me, I was bummed.

Shan Kat said...

Ah, man. I wish it had been me with that kind of news! :) Maybe next time. But yes, you illustrate my point perfectly.

Ana Clark said...

I log onto myspace and the dreadful facebook to check if you've posted "gone to the hospital message." Maybe it will be on Easter...

Shan Kat said...

My mom told me it'd be tonight because it's a full moon. :) But I have a feeling Wyatt has other plans. We'll see...