Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Bellies, Boobies and Toes.

Yesterday was a Wyatt day. I had my last non-invasive prenatal appointment (meaning I got to keep my clothes on), and I had a breastfeeding class. I also got a pedicure, which I'll attribute to Wyatt too, because it helped out a little with the look and feel of my semi-swollen feet.



Let's start with the appointment, shall we? My blood pressure remains low, so no signs of preeclampsia. My uterus (belly) is measuring right on target. Wyatt's heartbeat is strong and steady as always. The baby's head is down. He's locked and loaded for final approach. At my next appointment, I'll get tested for Group B strep. (I'm crossing my fingers it comes back negative, because I really don't want to have to have antibiotics during labor, due to the increased possibility of later problems like thrush.) I'll also have my first pelvic exam since my first trimester. The doc will check my cervix for changes like dilation and effacement. That's pretty crazy to think about. I keep calling this the home stretch, but DANG, that's the home stretch...



And now on to the breastfeeding class. It was actually part one of a two part class, which I didn't know going in. This class was called "Getting Started". It was actually really informative and answered a lot of questions I didn't really know I had. So, while I certainly don't claim to be an expert now, I do feel comfortable that I'll have a better experience than I would have otherwise. So, you know, there's that. It is pretty comical how many classes I've been taking in order to prepare for this kid! I was talking to my grandmama on the phone yesterday about it, and she's pretty amused. When she was having her babies, she just had her mom and grandma there for a month to train her in everything she needed to know. But these are different times. Support networks work differently, so I guess we have to educate ourselves differently.



Lastly, let's talk toes. I have long, thin toes. I've always liked my feet because of them. I guess it's because "long and thin" is a lot like "tall and thin". And since the "thin" in that phrase isn't really guaranteed in other parts of the body without work, ha ha, I'm grateful for my skinny toes. Well, I got a pedicure yesterday in "hooker red" as my husband so delicately puts it, to highlight the last remaining skinny part of my expanding bod. Because, alas, even my pretty feet have begun the swelling adventure, now, and my toes are all I have left!



The stats: I'm 34 1/2 - 35 weeks preggo, depending on the source. 5 - 5 1/2 weeks until the infamous due date. Bring it on. I'm ready for other parts of my body to match my toes again...

No comments: