Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Basics. (Because it's that cut and dry.)

Tonight, Ryan and I are going to take a Basic Baby Care class with some friends of ours. It's a three hour class, and I'm curious to know what they're going to cover. I imagine the "basics" will include glamorous topics like diaper changing, umbilical cord stump care, and in our case, circumcision care. (I know this has turned into a more debated topic than it used to be, but for us, there was never really a question.) How to bathe your baby... How to burp your baby... etc.


It's funny. You can take classes to learn the mechanics of caring for a new baby, but that's not the same thing as learning how to be a parent. That's the more ambiguous part. I used to laugh when people would say, "Babies need to come with an instruction manual." After all, aren't these classes and all those books like What to Expect the First Year exactly that? Oh, but as the idea of a baby coming into our home gets closer and closer to reality, I'm gaining a little more perspective on what that means. The classes and books can't teach you responsibility, or how to love no matter what. Childcare? Absolutely. Parenthood? No.


And now for a complete 180. Politics. Being pretty moderate and about as close as you can get to an Independent without giving up the right to vote in a California primary, I rarely broach the topic. Even today, I'm not going to endorse anyone or take on any major issues. But I do have a small gripe with the Democratic party that I'd like to address. Super delegates. What's the point? Who came up with this brilliant set up? I think the idea of super delegates (especially having over 700 of them) is ridiculous. It has nothing to do with my specific political views, per se, but it does say something about the flaws in our systems... Yeah, anyway, just thinking...



Today I'm 33 1/2 weeks pregnant (or 34 weeks based the last two ultrasounds). 6 - 6 1/2 weeks until our due date. Tick, tick, tick.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the whole superdelegate thing. Actually, I think they're kind of the party equivalent of those really cool luxury boxes at football stadiums. In most elections (maybe all, I'm not sure), superdelegates haven't mattered at all, because the nominee has been decided before the convention. So superdelegates were able to attend the convention and feel all important. But now, their votes actually matter. And everyone's wondering what to do about that. That's my guess, at least, cobbled together from a variety of places.

Shan Kat said...

Yep, this is the first year I've really heard much chatter on the subject, since their votes may actually carry real weight. Maybe the chatter will force the DNC to reevaluate for next time... Only time will tell. :)

Nanette said...

This was the first time I'd heard of superdelegates, too.

BTW, I gave you a shoutout in my blog post today. Hopefully sending some blog love and readers your way! :)

Daddy Dan said...

Well, Nanette's shoutout worked on at least one person! =)

I know how you feel about the new baby coming. It can seem a little overwhelming at first but you'll definitely be fine. I'm sure you'll be nervous at first (at least I was). Congratulations!

Also, I agree about the superdelegates. Doesn't sound too democratic to me.