Sunday, April 27, 2008

These Babes Like to Party!


Last night, Ryan and I got to experience something pretty surreal. We went to a raging party with Wyatt. Okay... "raging" may be a bit of an overstatement. :) Our friends Dan and Jennifer had a group of friends over to their new house. Four of the couples (including us) came with newborn babies, ranging from 1 1/2 weeks to 7 weeks old. Two of the other couples were expecting. A year ago, we were all getting together to go out for drinks. No babies in sight. Plenty of free time and discretionary income. And now here we were, holding margaritas in one hand and baby bottles in the other. Occasionally, there was a line for the counter in the laundry room that was doubling as a baby changing station. There were babies and bellies everywhere! And yet, here's the crazy part: It was fun. A year ago, I think that would have sounded like my own private hell, and yet I honestly think we were all having a really good time. The babies just added this bizarre layer to the evening. And there was this comradery among the new parents, because we were all just figuring things out as we went along and breathing sighs of relief as we realized we weren't alone in this strange new adventure. And frankly, we were with people we really enjoyed just as much now as we had a year ago when none of us had kids. Same people. Same personalities. Just new circumstances. And that, my friends, was such a huge relief. Our lives aren't over! :) I think we're all gonna be okay.

2 comments:

Nanette said...

I'm glad you had a great time! I bet it was nice having all those folks sharing similar experiences and life changes. :)

Karen said...

I can SO relate. Oddly enough, my fiance is only 21, so I (sort of) get to relive my 20's again vicariously through him.