Wednesday, November 5, 2008

WWK's Mobility Revolution

We've had our first casualty of Wyatt's mobility revolution: his head. Yeah, the little dude took a spill while climbing Mt. Coffee Table. We estimate, from his all-boy energy, that this is the first of many. Great. I guess it comes with the territory, but no Mama likes to see her kid with a fat bruise on his forehead.

As you know, Wyatt's a crawler now. He gets more confident and a little quicker every day. Well, it turns out that mere crawling was boring my child to tears. So, he decided the night before last to pull up to a standing position on the coffee table all by himself. Yes, my child is now standing without help. This is where I remind you that this kid is only 7 months old. In a month's time, he has gone from playing on his back and tummy to sitting up on his own to crawling to standing. The next step will be cruising, which doesn't seem too far off. And then, of course, comes walking. Exactly how early is this munchkin going to walk? Holy frickin' cow!

I have one last little milestone to share. This one helps me out a lot. Wyatt is now consistently holding his own bottle. Yesterday he did it for every bottle, so he's proven his capability. When Wyatt proves he's capable of new things, we don't allow him to opt out. If he wants a bottle, he now has to hold it. End of discussion. We did the same thing with sleeping through the night. Once he'd done it 3 nights in a row, we knew he was capable. After that, he never got another middle of the night feeding. (Well, except for that one time when he was sick, but those were extenuating circumstances.) Everyone has their own parenting style, but for us, enforcing things like this have been very successful. That, or we just have a really good kid, in which case I'm sure I'll be eating crow when we get around to baby #2, haha.

Well, I guess that about sums things up. Clearly my son is in a hurry to grow up. I have a theory on that. Ryan always tells him that when he gets bigger, he can go to work with Daddy. Wyatt obviously likes this idea a lot. Watch out for our blue-eyed boy in a hard hat and work boots any day now...

1 comment:

Nanette said...

Go, Wyatt, go! (Or, if Mommy prefers, "Stay, Wyatt, stay!")

I like your idea of enforcing his milestones. I'll keep that in mind, fo' sho!