Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Say it Like You Mean it.

"Mama." Yes, ladies and gents, Wyatt's first word is "mama". I win! And how, you may ask, do I know for sure that he's saying "mama" and not just playing with the "ma" sound? Oh, I know. A mama knows. Plus, you know, he just says it when I leave the room or he needs me. Yeah, guys, that's definitely "mama". That's "Where are you going? Come back! I need you." That's "Mama" with a capital M. And while there may be a day when I wish he didn't know how to say it, because it will have been abused beyond recognition by stuff he wants in stores and separation anxiety melt-downs, right now it's pretty much the coolest sound in the whole wide world.

And now for the crazy news. It looks like Ryan, Wyatt and I are moving to Boise, Idaho. Wait, what? Huh? I know. Like I said, it's crazy news. It's something we've been talking about for a while, but we wanted to be sure it was the right decision before we let too many people know about it. I won't get into too many details, but this could be a huge opportunity for Ryan's company, and a smart move for Wyatt. The schools are great. The shopping is surprisingly good. The health care system up there is great. The cost of living is really low, too. There are four seasons, but they're mild enough not to scare this California girl away... etc. I know, it's a sales pitch. Can you blame me for hoping I can lure some of my friends up there, too? :) And I guess, technically, it' not in stone yet. Ryan and I are flying up there the weekend after next so I can get a feel for the place and make sure it's somewhere I could call home. I've been there before, but never as a prospective resident, so I need to see it with new eyes. It's going to be kind of strange to live in a different state. Beyond some short stints as an exchange student in Germany and in Australia, I've never lived anywhere except California. And now a quote for my friend Jade: "We're in YOUdaho!"

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought moving to Northern CA was a big leap! Keep the blog updated. we'd love to read about your journey!
Sarah C.

Anonymous said...

When do you think you are going to move if all goes well?

Shan Kat said...

Probably sometime this spring.

Anonymous said...

That's fast. Are you going to sell your house? We are looking March 2010 for Colorado. Get as many tattoos out of California as we can!

Unknown said...

Hey Shan -
Boise is a beautiful place!
But 2 cautions:
1) Mormon-ville (totally different when you are the "minority")
2) It does freeze to about 20 inches deep (that's the average frost line)

Shan Kat said...

Hey, Paul. :) It's actualy only 15% Mormon, which is a higher percetage than the 1.8% in Cali, but still not by any means a dominant majority. :) It definitely snows there and has cold winters, but they're much milder than in the northeast and midwest. Ryan's brother lives there, so we've been grilling them to make sure thir experiences match our research data!

Nanette said...

Mama! That's awesome!

And Idaho! Wow! Very exciting! Luckily we'll still have the blog to keep up with your big life changes!

The Magsigs said...

I'm excited for y'all, but I would be lying if I didn't say we're going to be a little sad:( Luke and Wyatt are just now learning how to cause some trouble!

libbydibby said...

wowsers... Boise is a sweet city and Idaho has some amazing places to visit. I think the adventurous side of you is going to love it.